Forbes House Museum – Assistant to the Director Job Description
The Assistant to the Director is responsible for supporting the Museum’s operations and activities by ensuring that information is communicated effectively and efficiently between the constituents (Board, staff, community, and volunteers) including accurate and timely keeping of records. The candidate must be skilled in the use of computer software and conscientious with respect to office and organizational detail. A positive customer service focus and outlook coupled with the ability to work well with others is required for the successful candidate. This full-time position requires flexibility to work hours some nights and weekends, with commensurate reductions in time during the usual work week. The candidate will perform other duties as required to support the effective operation and advocacy for the Museum and as requested.
- Create and maintain master calendar – internal and publicly accessible versions.
- Keep vendor lists and manage the purchase of office, building, program and other supplies
- Maintain list of planning, tour scheduling, lists of building improvements, and other lists as needed
- Serve as the first line of contact for Museum phone calls, incoming emails and other correspondence. Respond to inquiries from website.Keep shared drive organized and up to date, accessible to all staff with passwords, vendor files, event information, photos, meeting materials, and other Museum documents.
- Keep shared drive organized and up to date, accessible to all staff with passwords, vendor files, event information, photos, meeting materials, and other Museum documents
- Maintain record keeping for donors in PastPerfect (donor database) including giving history, amounts, membership, events and attendees, and other items deemed relevant by the Development Committee and Director
- Execute Membership renewal requests, Annual Fund mailings, and other funding items
- Implement recognition and thank you letters to donors, members, volunteers, and others
- Maintain master list of volunteers, events and in-kind donors
- Print and distribute Annual Report and other public relations items
- Facilitate coordination of special events and meetings with Director and Board Committees
- Maintain accounts receivable and accounts payable. Use QuickBooks to enter income and pay bills. Support accurate and timely recordkeeping of items for budget and other financial reports.
- Organize receipts and invoices, including filing and creation of master list
- Generate financial reports for the use of the Director and the Board of Trustees on regular schedule and on ad hoc basis as requested
Programs and Exhibitions
- Create and oversee implementation of to-do list and budget for programs and exhibitions in combination with Director, and others as relevant
- Work with Director to install and de-install exhibits including organization of storage and labeling
- Support inventory of collections work
- Assist with recruitment and management and organization (including training) of volunteers for programs, tours, events and other tasks that support the Museum
Marketing and Advocacy
- Update website and Social Media (Constant Contact, Facebook and Twitter) regularly with latest events and information. Create methods to increase positive awareness of Museum and its work for constituents.
- Maintain current and develop new relationships with media outlets (Milton Times, Boston Globe, Patriot Ledger, etc.) and post/send Museum information regularly
- Oversee the production and distribution of all print materials and event photos (postcards, invitations, fliers, reports, calendar inserts, advertising graphics, etc.)
Salary will be market competitive and commensurate with experience and education. Quality benefits package includes health insurance subsidy and PTO.
Please send a cover letter outlining how you meet the specific requirements of the position and a current resume via email to Heidi Vaughan, Executive Director of the Forbes House Museum at firstname.lastname@example.org. Qualified candidates will be screened by telephone followed by in-person interviews for selected applicants. The Forbes House Museum is an equal opportunity employer.